Houston Maharashtra Mandal’s presentation of Babasaheb Purandare’s mahanatya “Janata Raja” was a tremendous success. We received rave reviews from the audience for the grand set, dramatic lighting, gorgeous drapery, and superb acting performances. Thanks to the enthusiastic support of our HMM community and our non-Maharashtrian friends, a total of 617 seats were sold, raising a record $190,000 for our Vastu fund.
Theater is a collaborative art and our performance was a remarkable demonstration of the team work between the Vastu team headed by Rahul Deshmukh, and the Cultural Programming team headed by Jyotsna Phadke. For a complete list of volunteers who participated as directors, set design and construction team members, lighting, on-stage performers, and back-stage dressing, makeup, props, and food-service team members, please click here. The Janata Raja Marketing team was also outstanding in its efforts to raise funds.
Special thanks to Babasaheb for sending two brilliant directors — Anand Javadekar and Abhishek Jadhav – who gave us historical insights into the play and worked tirelessly with our local director — Chaitrali Gokhale and project manager Abhishek Bhat, resulting in a superlative performance. If you wish to show your appreciation for the Janata Raja performance and donate to our Vastu fund, please click here.
9 March, 2019 at 4 PM
10505 Cash Road, Stafford, TX 77477
Our community has accepted the challenge of organizing Janata Raja, the biggest and most renowned stage show that Marathi Rangabhumi has ever created. The play was authored and originally directed by Honorable Shivshahir Babasaheb Purandare. Since 1985, the play has been performed in hundreds of towns all over India and in a few cities outside India. The play has always been performed by local artists, with the help of directors who are trained by Babasaheb. Our Janata Raja team includes many well-known and aspiring Houstonian actors, stage directors, prop makers, makeup experts, etc. While you read this, approximately 80 Maharashtrians in Houston are working hard to make this play a grand success.
While our total fund-raising target for Vastu is $3 million, the target for our next phase is set at $500,000- $700,000. Your contribution to Vastu will give you multiple passes for the Janata Raja performance. There are three donation levels:
- Platinum Level – $10,001 and above — Up to 8 tickets
- Gold Level – $5,001 to $10,000 – Up to 6 tickets
- Silver Level – $1,000 to $5,000 – Up to 4 tickets
- General Admission Tickets $100 — Seats will be assigned on first come, first serve basis.
- Balcony Tickets $50 — Seats will be assigned on first come, first serve basis.
We plan to recognize your donations on the basis of the total amount donated to HMM Vastu fund raising since March 2017. Please note that Houston Maharashtra Mandal is registered as a non-profit under Section 501 [c] .
Donation Payment Information
- Login to your bank’s online account, or smartphone app.
- Go to ‘Zelle’ funds transfer page.
- Send funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the ‘notes’ or ‘comments’ section on the funds transfer page, please enter ‘Janata Raja – Your Name’
- Please make the check payable to ‘Houston Maharashtra Mandal’. In the ‘Memo’ field of the check, please write ‘Janata Raja Donation’.
- On a separate paper, mention your contact information (Name and Email ID or Mailing Address). This will be used to send you the receipt.
- Please mail the check and contact infomration to: Vastu Treasurer, PO Box No. 421486, Houston, TX 77242.
- Log on to your HMM account. If you don’t have an HMM account, you can create free account by clicking here.
- Click on the ‘Janata Raja Passes’ button.
- Enter the number of passes and click on the ‘Proceed to Paypal’ button.
- Make payment using your PayPal account or a credit card.
- After successful payment, you will receive an acknowledgement email to your registered email address.
Please email us the following information to email@example.com, so that we can
track your payment and send you a receipt.
Method of Payment
Transaction ID (If applicable)
- Transaction Date